A mass of 141 kilograms was brought to Lima in 1950. The following information comes from the files of Dr. H.H. Hininger and Dr. C.B. Moore. A mass, estimated to weigh 130 kilograms, was discovered - or rather was reported - in 1949 by J. Ernesto Lanas del Castillo as being in a remote part of the Andes Mountains. The location is given as near the village of Tambo Quemado, in the district of Leoncio Prado. The discoverer made arrangements to remove the mass but could accomplish little himself, partly because of local native superstitutions and partly due to interference from government authorities. As it turned out, after considerable wrangling and to the full dissatisfaction of the discoverer, the whole mass - except for a 108 gram slice, and later a 1.36 kilogram wedge, which were forwarded to Dr. Nininger - ended up in the Geological Museum in Lima. A part of the wedge came to the U.S. in 1955. Jain & Lipschutz (1969) interpreted the internal structure as the result of a cosmic event but, it is believed that the mass was artificially reheated.